Ten people were injured in a mass shooting on a major street in New Orleans on Sunday morning, local officials stated. Mere hours later, two people were killed and two were injured in an irrelative shooting elsewhere in the city.
The first shooting occurred at 3:20 a.m. on Sunday when officers described hearing gunfire in the 700 block of Canal Street, a major street on the edge of the French Quarter. Upon entry, the officers discovered multiple victims who had been shot.
All 10 victims were transported to local medical facilities for treatment, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Two of the victims were said to be in critical condition.
There was no immediate word on a potential motive and no arrests were immediately made. Police stated one person was detained near the scene of the shooting, but the nature of their involvement – if any – was still being investigated.
“What happened in our city overnight was a cowardly and senseless act that we cannot and will not tolerate,” Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson stated. “While this investigation is in the very beginning stages, one thing is certain – we will not stop until we identify and arrest those responsible.”
The second shooting happened at the 2000 block of North Dorgenois Street, in the city’s Fifth District. Upon arrival, officers discovered four men who had been shot, two of which were pronounced dead on the scene. The other two were taken to an area hospital.
The second shooting happened in a residential area, but the details of the incident were not immediately discerned. Police spokesman Aaron Looney said there was no evidence of a link to the shooting on Canal Street.